About John's Project

House: South

Topic: Psychiatry

EQ: What are the best ways to becoming a successful psychiatrist?

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Blog #12: Service Learning

Q:Where are you working for your service learning?

A: For my service learning I am working at Kaiser Los Angeles Medical Center: Emergency Room. The head honcho in charge of my service learning is:
 
Kathy McIntire
Director, Volunteer & Chaplain Services
Kaiser Permanente, LAMC

Q: What is your contact?
A: Phone: 323.783.8991

Q: Services performed?

A: For my service learning I shadow doctors who do their rounds in the Emergency Room. So I basically follow them as they go from room-to-room. By shadowing these professionals, i learn many things such as medical procedures, techniques when dealing with patients, and I am even allowed to do hands on medical assistance since i received my basic first aid training from Red Cross. That means that I am allowed to take blood pressure and blood oxygen, place EKG machines on patients (and decipher the patients condition), and I help with bandaging. I watch as Doctors and nurses do surgical procedures in the ER (I have seen 4 penile catheters being inserted), and i learn how and why each procedure is done. Other than that, I chat with doctors, nurses, and EMT's and get a basic feel of the medical and helping profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment