About John's Project

House: South

Topic: Psychiatry

EQ: What are the best ways to becoming a successful psychiatrist?

Monday, October 10, 2011

Blog #6: Defining the Essential Question.

1) What is your EQ?


My eq is "What are the best ways to becoming a successful psychiatrist?

2) Define the words in your EQ to make sure we are on the same page regarding what your EQ means.



By using the word "successful" in my EQ, I mean somebody who has mastered the study and medical treatment of mental disorders through psychiatry.



The "mental disorders" that i speak of are affective, behavioral, perceptual, and cognitive abnormalities in a human being. 


I used the plural form "best ways," because i don't think there is ONE right way to become a successful psychiatrist. There are alot of pieces to the puzzle and i hope to figure out the true correct answer to my EQ through this senior project. 



3) What are some possible answers to your EQ so far? 


a) The modern study of the human psyche is still a brand new topic in the field of medicine, so don't be afraid to refute notions in the treatment methods of psychiatry. 

b) I learned through my interview, that with with any line of work regarding the treatment of another human being, you must approach the patient with a sense of empathy and modesty. You have to be able to relate to the patients experiences and to his/her suffering. 




c) As a scientist, you must devote a large quantity of time studying the sciences outside of the office. Medicine and science are constantly changing before our eyes every single day, and if you must be able to keep up.




4) What has been your most important source and why?  Be specific.  If it is a person, name them and what they do, if it is an article, book or video, name the title and author.  


I have used a few quality sources through books and articles, but my most valuable source in terms of quality was Interview #1. I conducted the interview with my father, Dr. Bishara Shahin, who has worked in a private practice as a psychologist for over 25 years. With a lengthy career studying human behavior and mental illnesses, Dr. Shahin's answers were of top quality and provided me with a great deal of knowledge. 

1 comment:

  1. Needs to change to: What is the best way to becoming a successful psychiatrist?

    ReplyDelete